Skip to main content

CST370: Exploring Efficient Data Structures This Week

 This week I focused on understanding different data structures that improve search efficiency, including AVL trees, 2-3 trees, heaps, and hashing. I learned how AVL trees maintain balance using balance factors and rotations, and how to identify when rotations like left, right, or double rotations are needed after insertion. For 2-3 trees, I studied how nodes can store one or two keys and how promotions work to keep the tree balanced with all leaves at the same level.

I also learned about heaps and how they are implemented as complete binary trees. I practiced operations such as inserting elements, deleting the maximum, and building a heap using both top-down and bottom-up approaches. Understanding how heaps are represented using arrays helped me see how parent and child relationships are calculated using indices. I explored heap sort and how it repeatedly removes the maximum element to produce a sorted sequence with O(n log n) time complexity.

For hashing, I learned how hash functions map keys to table indices and how collisions occur when multiple keys map to the same location. I studied collision resolution methods such as separate chaining and linear probing, and I learned how load factor affects performance. I also learned why rehashing is needed when the table becomes too full and how resizing to a larger prime number helps reduce collisions.

Working on HW5 helped reinforce these concepts because I had to implement heap operations and a hash table with linear probing and rehashing. I spent time testing edge cases, debugging commands like tableSize, and verifying load factor calculations. I also practiced quiz questions to strengthen my understanding of how these data structures behave in different scenarios. Overall, this week helped me connect theory with practical implementation and improved my confidence in working with efficient data structures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST383: Learning Probability Distributions and Data Visualization in Python

This week, I learned more about probability distributions, density plots, histograms, and how to visualize data using Python libraries such as Pandas, Matplotlib, Seaborn, and SciPy. I practiced creating density plots, box plots, cumulative density plots, and histograms using real datasets. I also learned how changing things like bin width, bandwidth, transparency, and sample size can affect the appearance and interpretation of graphs. Another important topic was understanding skewness and how transformations such as log10 can help make heavily skewed data easier to analyze. One thing I found interesting was how probability density functions (PDFs) and histograms can represent the same data differently. Before this week, I thought graphs mostly showed the same information in different styles, but now I understand that each type of plot has a different purpose and can make patterns easier or harder to notice. I also learned that larger sample sizes tend to reflect the true distribution...

CST383 Week 1: Python for Data Science

This week, I learned the basics of Python for data science and how tools like NumPy are used. I already have programming experience from my computer science classes, but Python feels different from languages like Java or C++. It is easier to write and more flexible because it does not require strict data types. This makes coding faster, but I also need to be careful to avoid mistakes. We also learned about the Python data science ecosystem, such as NumPy, Pandas, and tools like Google Colab and Jupyter Notebook. I liked using Google Colab because it is simple and runs in the browser, so I don’t need to install anything. However, I am curious when it is better to use local tools like Spyder or Jupyter instead of Colab. The most important concept for me this week was NumPy. I learned that NumPy arrays are much faster than Python lists because they store data in a continuous block of memory and use the same data type. This connects to what I learned in my algorithms class, where performan...

CST462S - From Learning to Impact: My Service Learning Journey

What went well during my service learning experience was my ability to contribute meaningfully to the ASCENDtials web team. I was able to complete several tasks such as updating website pages, working on LifterLMS courses, and improving user experience through better layouts and navigation. I also communicated effectively with my team, asked questions when needed, and stayed consistent with meeting deadlines. Over time, I became more confident using tools like WordPress, WPForms, and course-building platforms. If I could improve something, it would be my time management and planning. There were moments when tasks felt overwhelming, especially when balancing schoolwork and service hours. I would also improve my confidence in decision-making, particularly when working independently on design or technical issues. Taking more initiative earlier and asking for feedback sooner would have made my work even stronger. The most impactful part of this experience was seeing how my work directly co...