Skip to main content

From Spreadsheets to Databases: My First Week Exploring SQL

Relational database tables and spreadsheets may look alike since both organize information in rows and columns, but they serve very different purposes. From my own experience at my previous job, I noticed that spreadsheets became slow and unreliable as the amount of data grew, which made it hard to manage employee training records efficiently. That was one of the challenges I often faced, and it showed me the limits of spreadsheets. Databases, on the other hand, are designed for larger and more complex datasets. They enforce rules like keys and relationships across tables, maintain accuracy, and allow multiple users to access data at the same time without slowing down.

Even though installing and setting up a database is more complicated than opening a spreadsheet, I’ve already seen how valuable databases can be. In my previous role, I occasionally used SQL to work with training data, making sure employees’ compliance records were tracked correctly. At the time, I only understood the basics, but I could see how powerful SQL was for quickly checking records, pulling reports, or updating training completions across hundreds of employees. Now, as a student, I can connect what I’m practicing in this course with those real-world experiences, which makes the lessons feel more relevant and practical.

In this course, I want to strengthen my SQL skills so I can confidently design queries, join tables, and understand relational database structures. These skills will not only support me as I continue in my Computer Science degree but will also be valuable in my future career. Since I’ve already worked in roles where accurate reporting and system reliability were critical, I know that having a strong foundation in databases will help me contribute to building better IT solutions, whether that’s in business systems analysis, IT support, or software engineering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST383: Learning Probability Distributions and Data Visualization in Python

This week, I learned more about probability distributions, density plots, histograms, and how to visualize data using Python libraries such as Pandas, Matplotlib, Seaborn, and SciPy. I practiced creating density plots, box plots, cumulative density plots, and histograms using real datasets. I also learned how changing things like bin width, bandwidth, transparency, and sample size can affect the appearance and interpretation of graphs. Another important topic was understanding skewness and how transformations such as log10 can help make heavily skewed data easier to analyze. One thing I found interesting was how probability density functions (PDFs) and histograms can represent the same data differently. Before this week, I thought graphs mostly showed the same information in different styles, but now I understand that each type of plot has a different purpose and can make patterns easier or harder to notice. I also learned that larger sample sizes tend to reflect the true distribution...

CST383 Week 1: Python for Data Science

This week, I learned the basics of Python for data science and how tools like NumPy are used. I already have programming experience from my computer science classes, but Python feels different from languages like Java or C++. It is easier to write and more flexible because it does not require strict data types. This makes coding faster, but I also need to be careful to avoid mistakes. We also learned about the Python data science ecosystem, such as NumPy, Pandas, and tools like Google Colab and Jupyter Notebook. I liked using Google Colab because it is simple and runs in the browser, so I don’t need to install anything. However, I am curious when it is better to use local tools like Spyder or Jupyter instead of Colab. The most important concept for me this week was NumPy. I learned that NumPy arrays are much faster than Python lists because they store data in a continuous block of memory and use the same data type. This connects to what I learned in my algorithms class, where performan...

CST462S - From Learning to Impact: My Service Learning Journey

What went well during my service learning experience was my ability to contribute meaningfully to the ASCENDtials web team. I was able to complete several tasks such as updating website pages, working on LifterLMS courses, and improving user experience through better layouts and navigation. I also communicated effectively with my team, asked questions when needed, and stayed consistent with meeting deadlines. Over time, I became more confident using tools like WordPress, WPForms, and course-building platforms. If I could improve something, it would be my time management and planning. There were moments when tasks felt overwhelming, especially when balancing schoolwork and service hours. I would also improve my confidence in decision-making, particularly when working independently on design or technical issues. Taking more initiative earlier and asking for feedback sooner would have made my work even stronger. The most impactful part of this experience was seeing how my work directly co...